Friday, May 05, 2023

The Sunday Haul (on 30-04-2023)


The only title that I found at Abids last Sunday was a copy of ‘Stallion of the Sun and Other Stories’ by U.R. Ananthamurthy whose beautiful yellow cover I spotted from far away. It was a Penguin title that I immediately bought for seventy rupees. I was filled with a quiet joy when I bought realizing that I had in my hands something not easily found.

 


The seven stories in ‘Stallion of the Sun’ were edited and translated from Kannada by Narayan Hegde who also wrote the introduction to the book. The seven stories in it are: Ghatashraddha, Clip Joint, Mount, The Sky and the Cat, Stallion of the Sun, Akkayya, and Jaratkaru. The Sky and the Cat is a wonderful story that I already read in ‘Modern Indian Short Stories’ edited by Stephen Alter and Wimal Dissanayake. 

No comments: