Friday, January 19, 2024

The Sunday Haul (on 14-01-2023)

 

It was festival time last week due to Sankranti, and due to which we (in the government) had a three-day holiday spell that included Sunday last. So it was in a rather relaxed mood that I went to Abids to dig out good titles from the pavements. 


The first title I found was a new looking copy of ‘Rise and Kill First: The Secret History of Israel’s Targeted Assassinations’ by Ronen Bergman that was thicker than a brick. I only know that Israel has a policy of assassinating people who it considers as its enemies and the assassinations after the Munich Olympics were on my mind when I picked it up to know more about how it happens. I got this title for two hundred rupees though I could have bargained for a lesser figure but it being the festival I did not bargain and paid the money and took the book. 


Sometime last year I had managed to successfully claim a copy of ‘The Blue Nile’ by Alan Moorehead in a sale on WA by a second-hand bookseller. I bought it because I had a copy of ‘The White Nile’ and so I wanted to read ‘The Blue Nile’ also along with it. However, I couldn’t read them both and in the meanwhile I came across another copy of ‘The Blue Nile’ by Alan Moorehead at Abids. This was a different edition as it was illustrated as well as bigger in size than the copy that I had. It looked quite attractive though there was a tear in the front cover at the bottom. I got it for a hundred and fifty rupees. 

No comments: