Friday, January 26, 2024

The Sunday Haul (on 21-01-2024)

 It wasn’t a normal Sunday as I sort of reversed my usual Sunday routine. Instead of going to Abids in the morning I went instead in the afternoon as I had to go somewhere in the morning. Going to Abids in the mornings felt a bit odd but apart from the time everything else was the same. Of course, the afternoon crowd is a bit different from the morning crowd at Abids which in my opinion, is made of the serious book types like yours truly. It is so because all week along we are impatient to come to Abids and grab as many good titles as one can find well before anyone else grabs them. 


Anyway, coming in the afternoon in no way changed my luck at finding good titles because I spotted a nice copy of ‘A Writer at War- with the Red Army 1941-45’ by Vasily Grossman. I Though I haven’t read much about Vasily Grossman the name stuck in mind and when I spotted this title I picked it up. I got it for a hundred and fifty rupees.  



 

Though I am not riding a two-wheeler after my accident in October which would have made it easier for me to stop at Chikkadpally after visiting Abids first, I am getting down at the Chikkadpally bus stop to check the titles that the three sellers there display on the pavement. At one of the sellers I spotted a copy of ‘Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain’ by Maryanne Wolf that I thought would be interesting to read. I got it for a hundred rupees. 

No comments: