Saturday, September 01, 2007

OF NOTEBOOKS AND WRITING PADS

SHOPPING FOR NOTE BOOKS AND WRITING PADS

If one is crazy about fountain pens then it naturally follows that one should also be crazy about the things one writes on with a fountain pen. I am absolutely nuts about writing materials, especially notebooks and writing pads. Whenever I go to a stationer's or a book store I always end up buying a couple of notebooks or writing pads.

In that manner I have bought several notebooks that lie around on my table until I find a use for them. I take a notebook around when I am traveling and jot down everything I observe. I realized late that if one wants to be a writer then you need to have notebooks to jot down your ideas and observations. I was in the habit of taking down notes on scraps of paper which I would inevitably lose. Then I read this usefuladvice about maintaining a notebook at all times if one wants to write and began to hoard notebooks.

If I fancy a notebook or a writing pad I lap it up without regard for the price. Last week I had been to the ‘Odyssey’ store in Punjagutta and ended up picking up a writing pad and a couple of notebooks.

BAGAO WRITING PADS

The first find was a ‘Bagao’ brand writing pad with a metal spiral binding at the top. The spiral was large making it convenient to flip over one part of the notebook fully which makes it easy to write on it. It was quite handy, the size of a post card and ideal for carrying on trips.

The covers didn’t appear durable but the notebook looked good. It had cream colored papers inside and seemed to have around hundred odd papers. The price on the yellow sticker at the back said Rs 50 but didn’t have anything about the number of pages.


The writing pad seemed worth it especially considering its looks. It looked elegant and I bought it without a second thought.

‘TRENDY’ NOTEBOOKS BY NIGHTINGALE

Another great find was the ‘Trendy’ brand of notebooks by Nightingale. I have not seen such good looking notebooks before. The rugged covers were of bright colors and were very attractive. Inside the paper quality was superior and the white paper felt smooth to the touch. I liked the notebook very much and chose the standard sized ones, the size of regular notebooks.

These notebooks seemed ideal for writing a short story or for outlining a novel. I liked them so much I bought two of them. The price was Rs 40 for the two hundred pages notebook
There were two other sizes- one was a long notebook type used by college students and the other was a small sized notebook and quite handy to carry on trips. I planned to pick them up on my next visit to the store.

2 comments:

Roopa Banerjee said...

Vinod, that made interesting reading for anyone who is interested in writing. I could relate totally to the thrill of finding new notebooks in stationery stores.Nice blog.Will definitely visit it again soon.
Roopa

Vinod Ekbote said...

Thanks Roopa. You are welcome to my blog.
Vinod