Saturday, August 30, 2008

Haleem Season Cometh

Mouths have already started watering in Hyderabad as the month of Ramzan approaches. The mere sight of the brick and mud ovens coming up in front of Irani joints that would ladle out Haleem is sending our salivary glands into a tizzy. Another couple of days and the evening air in Hyderabad would be filled with the aroma of Haleem. It is also that time of the year when roughly five percent of the body weight of Hyderabadis will be made up of Haleem. It is time for foodies in Hyderabad to rejoice, for Haleem season cometh.

During this month of Ramzan Biryani will make way for Haleem as the No. I item on most people’s menu. I’ve heard of people who eat nothing but Haleem during the month of Ramzan but unfortunately I haven’t met any of them. Of course there are people who will eat Haleem and Biryani. I have a friend who does that but I am not going to tell here who that friend is. If I reveal his name he will kill me right away by dragging me along with him to Irani joints to share his fare every day for thirty days.

Whatever, I too am getting ready for it. Though a vegetarian by choice, I make an exception for a few days during Ramzan. I dig into my plate of haleem just as eagerly as any foodie. Last year I tasted the Haleem at Bahar Restaurant at Hyderguda and once at Paradise. This year I plan to sample Haleem at other joints too, wallet and stomach permitting.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Vinod

Just to let you know that I am still enjoying reading your blog. I haven't read it for a while so I am doing some catching up with your life and how you are progressing. I hope you have some sucess with publishing your work commercialy because, for me, I enjoy your style of writing.
Thanks.

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Hi Vinod...yeah yeah...the haleem season cometh...we are all waiteth...all bhattis are completeth...

We have our once-in-two-day's dose of haleem at Jolly Cafe at HMT Nagar...I tried paradise last year and Pista House the year before...Pista House haleem is too rich for a 'normal' haleem taste... paradise haleem is good... tomorrow (sept 1) is the d-day... the amusing part is that though haleem is made as a nutritious 'meal' for rozedaars (fasting muslims) to make up for the loss of nutrition due to fasting, it is the others who eat most of the haleem...!

Happy haleem season...

Jai

Vinod Ekbote said...

Redstripe,
Thank you for your wishes for my 'commercial' success. With nice comments like yours I already feel I am a success. Keep reading the blog. thanks.

Vinod

Vinod Ekbote said...

Jai,

Thank you. Paradise haleem is good. This year I'll taste Pista House's stuff and write here about it.

Vinod