Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Sunday Haul

It is very unusual to find the latest issues of foreign magazines at Abids so I was very surprised when I found the August 2008 issue of ‘Outside’ magazine this Sunday. I got this magazine for thirty five rupees only which I think is quite cheap given that the cover price is $ 4.95! Though I am a file pusher I like to think of myself as some kind of an adventurer even if of the office bound variety. This issue of ‘Outside’ had a Q&A with Ewan McGregor of ‘Long Way Round’ fame. It was one program I loved to watch on ‘Travel & Living’ channel. There’s a lot of stuff in the magazine about outdoor adventures I have yet to read but it is the ads for sports shoes and the Hummer that has me drooling.


It was a ‘magazines only’ haul at Abids for I found another magazine I like very much- ‘Conde Nast Traveler’, and this Sunday I found the May 2007 issue. It was a brand new magazine that I got for only twenty bucks. The issue had another ‘Hot List’ of the best hotels, spas etc. It also had an interesting article by Lawrence Osborne about a railway trip aboard ‘The Deccan Odyssey’ in which he mentions the ‘formidable spitting talents’ of Indian men. It would take an entire post to write about all the interesting articles in this fantastic magazine. As usual, the photographs of all the places, especially the beaches and the resorts are out of the world. This magazine makes me go all dreamy.


There was another magazine, on running that I did not buy though it too was of this month. I had seen a book called ‘Marathons for Mortals’ but it was in bad shape so I didn’t pick it up though the subject inside was quite interesting and intriguing. I wonder why I am, of late, being drawn towards magazines and books about running? The only running related objects I own are a pair of running shoes though I haven’t run a mile in my entire life. Maybe there’s a run indicated in the future.

No comments: