Sunday, October 05, 2008

Beginning the Revision

Nothing I read in all the books on writing that I came across so far have quite prepared me for the onerous task that lies before me now- the revision of my 780- page draft of my first novel. After weeks spent staring at the manuscript wondering about the best course of action to take I have whittled down the choices to two:

1. Pack it all up in a card board box and tuck it out of sight forever.
2. Take a deep breath and plunge right in, persisting until I come to the end.

For a long time I was convinced that the first choice was the best thing to do but being the sort of Hyderabadi who doesn’t give up so easily, I have opted for the latter course of action, though, with a bit of trepidation. Seven hundred pages of manuscript to revise is enough to give the jitters to even the most hardened of editors not to mention first time authors like me. But since it is my own book I have to do it myself. It doesn’t appear to be a pleasant task though.

Sometime last week I finished reading the entire manuscript once and I feel it is one big piece of nonsense that I have managed to write over these three years. All the lines that I thought were funny, all those scenes filled with significance and deep meaning now sound pathetic. I feel I have made a mistake, a gigantic one, thinking I have it in me to write a novel, no less. I am wondering what to do next. More importantly, I don’t know how to do it and have no idea other than cutting all those scenes that don’t work. There is a lot of work ahead and I think my deadline of finishing the revision and coming up with a readable draft by the end of the year seems too unrealistic. I guess I need another year before I can allow anyone to lay their hands on the draft.

Sometime next week I am going to begin the revision and I already feel the jitters inside. I’ll keep doing posts on the progress of my novel as and when I reach milestones. Another idea that I have is how it would be if I put a few pages of my novel here on the blog for every one to read and give feedback. But I am scared to do it for fear that everyone will die laughing after reading the first few lines and never return to the blog again.

6 comments:

W.D & H.O said...

I am waiting to read your novel, Vinod. Please dont delay it now. I think you are already there.

Kunal said...

I say you should post pages of your novel here for feedback... I have been reading your blog for a long time, and your writing skills are quite good ...

phaedra said...

I guess it would be surprising if you didnt have cold feet at this point. Not that I talk from experience but Ive read that :) Dont worry, im sure youll do a fine job; you already have a few assured readers, so go ahead and just do it :)

Harimohan said...

Vinod bhai,
Jo dar gaya, woh mar gaya...but seriously I think you should work on the manuscript till you are fully satisfied with it-how much ever long it takes. This period of trepidation and uncertainty and what-am-I-doing will remain for a while but as you work you will find light...and exultation. That will be a better time to seek reactions I feel.
Good luck and I am sure we and many readers will all be laughing for the right reasons when we read your book. I have great belief in your sense of humour and Wodehousean capability to make people burst out in loud laughter at the written word.
Hari

Vinod Ekbote said...

Thank you, Uma Shanker, Kunal, Sailaja, and Hari.

I'm touched by your faith in my talent. Your comments encourage me greatly to go ahead and face the revision. Bear with me for sometime for I don't want to disappoint anyone, much less myself, wih a badly written book.

Looking forward to more such encouragement from all of you.

Vinod

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Dear Vinod,

I have been waiting to read your novel. And please don't fear...go ahead with your revision...and I am sure you will come out with a finely chiselled work or art...and you can always post a couple of pages here or send them by mail to people for their feedback...I am sure you will make us laugh with your prose...not laugh at you...

Jai