Thursday, October 30, 2008

Magical Mornings


This is the third month in a row I am doing the early Sunday morning Necklace Road routine. I've been tempted to do it every Sunday but have resisted it so far. Anything you enjoy occasionally loses its magic if done too often. The magic won't be there so I am going there only once a month. As usual, it was magical. Though I was a wee bit late and the sun was just rising, it was tranquil and very beautiful.


One thing I've found during my travels is that it pays to spend the early hours in picturesque locales. The tranquillity of the hour before the dawn is multiplied in such places. I've done it several times while I was in the Andamans and also while on a trip to Goa a couple of years back. I've spent the early mornings on lonely beaches all by myself soaking in the silence. There is nothing like it to recharge the soul. The Necklace Road is as scenic a place as any in Hyderabad to do such a thing.


The lake surface shimmered like it was scattered with diamonds as the sun rose from behind the waters. It was totally quiet, just the right setting for introspection. I sat watching the sun rise slowly and grow brighter. Adding to the magic of the morning was a small, fluffy white pup that stopped following its master and stood before me. It sat on its haunches a little away from my cement bench and gave me a quizzical look, cocking its head to one side. It looked at me for a few moments and then got up to go. It trundled a few steps forward and turned around to give me another look before scampering away to its master. It was as if it was worried why I was all alone by myself.


After sometime I bought a couple of Sunday papers at the MLA Quarters and spent the next one hour poring through the papers from end to end while sipping Irani chai in Adarsh Restaurant. It felt good, this Necklace Road routine of mine that I now want to make a regular habit. It puts me in a good mood, and the world appears a nice place on such mornings.

No comments: