Friday, November 04, 2022

The Sunday Haul (on 30-10-2022)

It was the first Sunday after Diwali so all the regular shops were closed which meant that the second hand booksellers of Abids were at their original places in full strength. I was at Abids as usual and spent about two hours looking at all the wonderful titles on sale on the pavements. I ended up buying only two titles last Sunday at Abids.

The first book was one that had a stunning blue cover that caught my eye. When I picked it up for a closer look it had ‘Joe Gould’s Secret’ by Joseph Mitchell on the cover. There was high praise for it in the blurbs on the back cover by Bill Bryson, Salman Rushdie, Julian Barnes, Doris Lessing, Martin Amis and also Robert McCrum that made me buy the book without thinking twice about the price the seller was asking for it. I got it for a hundred rupees.

The other title that I found was a book that looked very old but in a good condition. It was a copy of ‘Job: The Story of a Simple Man’ by Joseph Roth. Sometime back I had read on Twitter about Joseph Roth about whom I had not heard of before. The cover looked quite attractive and it was one reason why I picked up the book for eighty rupees.



No comments: