Friday, December 30, 2022

The Sunday Haul (on 25-12-2022)

 

Though the 35th Hyderabad National Book Fair was going on in another part of the city I felt I had to go to Abids and check out the books laid out on the pavements every Sunday. I ended up finding four wonderful titles. 

 


I had been seeing this book at Abids and elsewhere for quite a long time but didn’t feel like buying it for some reason. Last Sunday however I felt I should maybe buy it and read it because it was a travel title by someone who left the IAS after a few years of service. So I bought a nice copy of ‘Don’t Ask Any Old Bloke for Directions’ by P.G. Tenzing for a hundred rupees.

 


There was a pile of books selling for twenty rupees and the books all looked quite old and a few were damaged with torn covers and broken spines. Among all those books I managed to pick out three titles. I already have a copy of ‘My Heart is Broken’ by Mavis Gallant but when I saw a copy that seemed in quite good condition I couldn’t resist buying it. It is a collection of her short stories, btw.

 

There are some titles that I buy solely on the basis of the cover. Last Sunday I saw a copy of ‘Flynn’ by Lesley Grant-Adamson that had a very attractive cover in blue orange. Another thing that made me buy it was that it was published by faber and faber. Since it was in the Rs 20 heap I bought it.


Now I do not remember if I have a copy of ‘Twilight in Italy’ by D.H. Lawrence but when I saw it in the heap, I picked it up and flipped through the pages to see if I could remember having read it. But it all looked new so I bought this title too.


This was the last Sunday haul but since the 35th Hyderabad National Book Fair will be until 1st of January I plan to pick up a few more books in the coming days. 

No comments: