Friday, October 13, 2023

The Sunday Haul (on 08.10.2023)

It is unusually warm for this time of the year in Hyderabad when it would have begun to get a bit cold early in the morning. I read somewhere that it would begin to get cold sometime in mid-November which is almost a month away so until then we in Hyderabad have to put up with these warm days.  


As usual I was in Abids last Sunday eager to pick up interesting titles, and soon after reaching I spotted a copy of ‘Inspector Matadeen on the Moon’ by Harishankar Parsai. I had read a long back about Harishankar Parsai’s satirical pieces but hadn’t expected to find an entire book of them. I got this title for sixty rupees.

 

The next find was a travel title- ‘Inka-Kola: A Traveller’s Tale of Peru’ by Matthew Parris that I found in a pile of Rs.100 books. I picked it up after reading a blurb by Dervla Murphy on the back cover. Of course, the attractive cover also played a role in my decision to buy it. 

 


Though Saddam Hussein of Iraq has been long dead I haven’t lost the desire to know what the newspapers haven’t written about this much reviled President. So when I saw a copy of 

‘Saddam’s War’ by John Bulloch & Harvey Morris published by faber and faber I grabbed it. I got it for a hundred rupees at a seller in Chikkadpally 


This year it is going to be a too big haul of books that I've picked up at Abids and also got a lot of books online. I have to start counting from now on!

No comments: