Friday, October 20, 2023

The Sunday Haul (on 15.10.2023)

 The festival season is on in Hyderabad and many shops in Abids were open last Sunday so some of the sellers of second-hand books had to move their books to other spots. This would be the situation until Diwali in November. However, it did not matter much to me at all because I knew where the sellers were. 

 

Sometime after I found ‘On Writing’ by Stephen King after reading which I felt confident enough to think of putting down on paper the idea for a novel I had in mind I found a copy of ‘The Writing of One Novel’ by Irving Wallace at Abids a long time back. It gave me an idea of how writers develop their novels after getting the idea for it, and what happens while the novel is written, and the numerous obstacles the writer has to face while writing. ‘The Writing of One Novel’ was one title I read and reread numerous times. I also found several copies of it all these years that I gave away to anyone who expressed the slightest interest in writing a novel. It is a different matter that not one who I gave a copy of ‘The Writing of One Novel’ has managed to bring out a novel so far.

 


Anyway, I found yet another copy of ‘The Writing of One Novel’ by Irving Wallace at Abids last Sunday and I was unable to move on without buying it. I got it for fifty rupees, a nice copy that I plan to retain and give away a different copy that is not in such a good condition that I had found some time back. 

 


I do not know where I read about ‘Harry’s Game’ that was described as a great read but I forgot who the author was however I remembered the title. Last Sunday at Abids I spotted a copy of ‘Harry’s Game’ by Gerald Seymour at a seller that I almost pounced on and grabbed it. I got it for just fifty rupees. 

No comments: