Friday, October 06, 2023

The Sunday Haul ( on 01-10-2023)

 Though the temperatures do not show it but for all appearances winter is just around the corner in Hyderabad. It was bright and sunny in the morning at Abids when I reached for my weekly dose of Sunday browsing for books on the pavements. Hari came with Anjali to look for some good titles and I picked out a nice copy of ‘The Heart is a Lonely Hunter’ by Carson McCullers for Anjali. 

 


The first title I found was a copy of ‘A Life of One’s Own’ by Joanna Field that somehow felt could be a good title so I picked up and read that it had been out of print for a long time. It was some kind of a memoir/self-help/psychology title that I felt I had to read. I got this title for fifty rupees only. 

 


The next title I found was a copy of ‘Out’ by Pierre Ray, a voluminous crime fiction book that I somehow felt could be another good read. I got this for thirty rupees. 



 

On the way back home I stopped at Chikkadpally and spotted a copy with a blue cover that was ‘Propaganda and the Public Mind: Conversations with Noam Chomsky: Interviews by David Barsamian. This was the second Noam Chomsky title I found in the recent weeks. After I read that John Pilger was influenced by Noam Chomsky I had decided to read his books. 

 

A while ago the Literature Nobel was announced and it was awarded to Jon Fosse. I haven’t read any of his books though I have read about his books on Twitter. I hope I find a title by Jon Fosse soon. 

No comments: