Monday, October 29, 2007

Another Good Find of Books at Abids

Once again this Sunday too, there wasn’t the full complement of the book sellers at Abids because most of the regular shops were open. I guess this will the situation until the Sunday after next when the festival season will be finally over. However, there were enough of them to yield a few treasures as usual. I was lucky as I found two good books at throwaway prices and I also got four good magazines.

The first book I found was ‘The Lifetime Reading Plan’ by Clifton Fadiman, a hardcover copy that I got for only twenty rupees. It was in good condition and had over two hundred pages of information about the books of some of the famous writers of the day as well as the classics of the past. I had been looking for such a book and today I finally got it.

Then the second book was another unexpected find. Several times in the past I have unexpectedly found a good book at an unbelievable price. Yesterday for only ten rupees I got Paul Theroux’s ‘Kingdom by the Sea’. I was delighted to find this book because only the other day I had seen a copy of it in a bookstore and the rate was seventy rupees. I hesitated to buy it at the store and I am glad I didn’t buy it though I was on the verge of picking it up. But I am glad I didn’t. The copy I found yesterday was in fairly good condition except a missing corner of the cover. This was the first book by Paul Theroux that I happened to read. I had picked up this book at the British Library six years ago and was hooked after reading it. There was ‘Dark Star Safari’ too in the library and I read it too. Since then I am hooked to Paul Theroux’s writings though I like his travelogues and non-fiction more than his fiction.

I saw two copies of his famous novel- The Mosquito Coast- but I have a copy and have also read the book but was not impressed.

Next, I found three copies of Conde Nast Traveler magazine. One was of Dec 05, another of May 06 and the third copy of January 07 and I got these three magazines for twenty rupees each. They were worth because they were almost brand new as if they hadn’t been opened at all. The May 2006 issue had the 10th Annual Hot List and the January 2007 issue had the Goldlist of the World’s Best. Someday I hope to write a travel article of my trip to the Andamans. I had made notes but I am not finding time to write it.

The last magazine was ‘Scuba Diving Magazine’ containing the 2007 World Diving Guide. The magazine has some of the most beautiful pictures of underwater sea life. Ever since I had snorkeled at Havelock Beach in the Andamans I have been fascinated by life under the sea.

I have to go through these magazines yet and also begin the Clifton Fadiman book. I also have to make a list of all the books I had picked up this month. The pile of books I have to read is growing by the week.

No comments: