Saturday, October 20, 2007

Last Sunday's Book Finds



It was the festival of Ramzan in Hyderabad last Sunday (14th) and hence most of the regular shops were closed as also the second hand booksellers who peddle their books from the doorsteps of these shops. They too must be celebrating Ramzan since most of the second hand booksellers are Muslims. But I wasn’t totally disappointed since quite a few of them had set shop wearing new clothes. Since I was a regular there and knew almost all of them I wished them in the traditional way by – shaking hands followed by a quick hug.

I found only one book and that was Annie Dillard’s ‘Pilgrim at Tinker Creek’ which I found in a heap of books selling for ten rupees opposite Bata. I had read about this book often and so picked it up for ten rupees. The book was in good condition without any stains or torn pages.

The next two finds were magazines. The first find was the July 2007 issue of ‘American Way’, the inflight magazine of American Airways. I got this magazine for ten rupees. The other magazine was ‘Andpersand’ of April 2007 which I got for thirty rupees. It was a thick magazine and had glossy photographs of luxury goods like clothes, watches, ties and stuff like that which men buy.
More Books at a Sale

Later in the evening I happened to be in Begumpet and I went to the MR Book Sale beside the flyover near Lifestyle. I found two small books that I got for ten rupees only. They were the small booklets that Penguin issued on its 60th anniversary and they were called the Penguin 60s. I found two of them- Paul Theroux’s ‘The Greenest Island’ and Michel de Montaigne’s ‘Four Essays’ translated by M.A.Screech. Both the books were in excellent condition and I was glad I found them.

It was a satisfying Sunday in terms of the books I found at Abids in the morning and at the book sale in the evening. Leafing through the books I found that Montaigne had written an essay called ‘On Thumbs’ which was an usual topic to write on and incidentally it was the shortest of the four essays in that book. The other three essays were- On the Cannibals, On Smells and On the Art of Conversation.

No comments: