Friday, October 12, 2007

Feelings- One Hundred Years of Mont Blanc Part I

In 2006, that is, last year, Mont Blanc completed one hundred years and I wasn’t even aware of it. I learnt about it only recently, last Sunday to be precise, at Abids, when I picked up another Mont Blanc Catalog, this one titled- Feelings- One Hundred Years of Mont Blanc.

I got this 92-page, magazine sized catalog for only ten rupees but it had a wealth of information, photographs, illustrations and statements from prominent writers that make this issue a collector’s item. Though I love fountain pens I hadn’t taken much trouble learning about the history of famous brands. But now I have decided to educate myself about the famous brands. But for now, to the Mont Blanc Catalog.

The beautiful catalog is divided into four parts- Part I, Part II, Part III and Part IV.

Part I is ‘I like to Write’ which contains 149 statements by prominent personalities that start with ‘I like to Write…’. Some of the famous names who’ve contributed to this section include the French actress Jeanne Moreau, Angelic Houston and the writer Candace Bushnell who says, ‘ I like to write because I always want to show people a new way to think about life’.

Part I also has a beautiful picture of the classic Meisterstuck 149 for which three designers developed a packing. The final section in this Part is by the Italian author Claudio Magris who declares his love for the Café San Marco in Trieste. There’s a beautiful full page picture of the author in the café with a notebook scribbling something on a paper.

Part II again contains three sections. The first section contains pictures of the various designs for the Mont Blanc logo that several designers developed.

The second section of Part II is an article by Prof. Robert Levine, author of ‘A Geography of Time’, on time and the need to strike a balance and knowing when to hurry and when to slow down.

The final section is about the Mont Blanc diamond and a bit of Mont Blanc’s history which is very history. It would require a separate post to write about the history. Until now I too did not know it but it seems the white Mont Blanc star represents the six glaciers found at the peak of the mountain and was first designed in 1913. There are stunning photographs of the diamonds and the cutting process involved in the creation of the Mont Blanc diamond that adorns the cap of the Meisterstuck Solitaire 100 and also some of Mont Blanc watches. It appears that the Mont Blanc diamond is the world’s first to be cut on the shape of a company logo.

More about the next two parts, Part III and Part IV in a subsequent post.

No comments: