Sunday, February 10, 2008

"Hilton Downs Shutters in Hyderabad'

Another popular Irani hotel in Hyderabad has downed shutters in a depressing trend that is changing the face of Hyderabad.
Yesterday I was in Osmania University campus area and stopped at Hilton to have a cup of tea. It was a favorite joint where I used to meet friends over tea and talk for hours. Though I haven't studied in Osmania colleges we used to meet there. But yesterday I got a mild shock when I noticed that Hilton was no more. The board was removed and the shutters were down. I don't know how long it has been shut. It marks the end of an institution especially for those who studied in the campus colleges. The place used to filled with students discussing their studies and their future plans. I felt sad to see it closed.
Many Irani hotels in Hyderabad are shutting down unable to face competition from swankier hotels. In some cases they are shutting down in return for a hefty amount since space is at a premium in Hyderabad and most of the good Irani hotels are in prime areas. Only true blue Hyderabadis can understand what it means to sit in an Irani hotel and sip tea. It is difficult for outsiders to understand the Hyderabadi's passion for Irani chai.
However, it is better to enjoy the Iranis while they last. Thank God there are several ancient Irani hotels still surviving and serving unbeatable Irani chai and food. There's Paradise, Garden, Bombay Bakery and several others I frequent along with millions of Hyderabadis.

2 comments:

Harimohan said...

Bhai. This is sad news. As a student of Osmania College of Engineering in the eighties I can recount countless number of wonderful times in Hilton. Celebrations, tragedies, matches, love affairs, mere introspection, timepass, "lighting", politics-Hilton was the nervecentre of all.
This calls for atleast this much-Hilton,we loved every moment we spebt with you and we'll sorely miss you everytime we come to the campus.
Hari

Vinod Ekbote said...

Hilton triggers nostalgic memories. I hope it is shut down for renovation and not forever. I have to find out.

Vinod