Thursday, February 21, 2008

Making the Rounds of Bookstores

Once every three days or so, I get an urge (an uncontrollable one) to visit either a bookstore or a stationer's. Last week I happened to visit three book stores, which makes it one every alternate day. And no visit is complete without picking up something to read or write in. I bought two books and a notebook during these visits. I had been to Askhara Books at Srinagar Colony, Odyssey and also a secondhand bookstore- MR Books, Punjagutta.


At Odyssey on Saturday last week I couldn't find the latest of issue of the children's magazine- Tinkle, I was looking for but I found an absolute treasure. I found the 'rubberband' brand of notebooks which made me pick them up without a second thought. The notebooks were elegant and had the pages stitched in the center so it made them sturdy. The covers were of hard brown paper and the paper quality inside was very good. The notebooks came in two sizes and I picked up a couple that fit into the pocket. The pages came in plain, checked and ruled varieties. I was delighted to find these notebooks. The small ones were Rs 50 a piece and the bigger ones Rs. 70. They are a great buy and I plan to pick up more later.


On Tuesday at Akshara I bought a book I had been hearing a lot about- David Allen's 'Getting Things Done'. I wanted to present it to my brother on his birthday. I also saw the February 2008 issue of '040' magazine I had written about in my previous post. It looks like '040' is here to stay. I flipped through the magazine and found that less than half the pages were devoted to Hyderabad topics and the rest were general in nature. But the quality of the paper is good and the magazine has a classy look about it. One can't say the same about the content inside. The content doesn't justify the price of Rs. 50, maybe the look of the magazine does


On the same day I also dropped in at MR Books at Punjagutta. At the second hand bookstore I couldn't find anything I wanted to buy then and there, but I saw a few books I planned to pick up later. Almost all of them copies of books I already have. I want to pick up the extra copies to give away to friends.

No comments: