Monday, February 04, 2008

The Sunday Haul


Yesterday at Abids I didn’t pick up a single book though I noticed a few I was coveting. I saw a good copy of Mary Karr’s ‘The Liar’s Club’, a hardcover edition of Sebastian Junger’s ‘The Perfect Storm’ and also another good copy of Elmore Leonard’s ‘Glitz’. I had seen William Styron’s biography but it seemed too voluminous for me to wade through. Then there were two Peter Mayle books- ‘Toujours Provence’ and ‘Chasing Cezanne’. I have 'Toujours' but I didn’t feel like buying ‘Chasing Cezanne’ because it is a novel and I am only interested in Mayle’s non-fiction.

However, I did not return empty handed. I picked up the September 2007 issue of ‘Conde Naste Traveller’ which I got for only twenty rupees. It had an article by Harriet O’Brien on a trip to the tea gardens of Assam that she made by boat on the mighty Brahmputra river. As usual, the accompanying pictures were just too beautiful to be described in words. I like it when India gets written in travel publications.
Another surprise find of the day was the magazine ‘Script’. I got it for only ten rupees and only after I went home I noticed that it was the absolute latest issue- of Jan-Feb 08! It was brand new and I felt glad I found it. I had never heard of this magazine before so it came as a pleasant surprise finding it. I had also picked up a magazine on running though I don’t run or do any kind of intense physical exercise. I picked up the magazine to learn what is happening in that field. For a writer it always helps to be curious.

No comments: