Friday, April 25, 2008

Another Paper Hits the Stands in Hyderabad

Sometime last week another daily hit the stands in Hyderabad (and Chennai too). It was the ‘Financial Chronicle’ from the Deccan Chronicle group. I am not into reading financial papers because I don’t understand anything much about finance or the economy both of which is abundantly found in such papers. I had taken to reading the ‘Business Line’ on Fridays for its supplement ‘Life’ which features some good articles. Today while I was picking up “Business Line’ I also picked up ‘Financial Chronicle’ to check it out.

While ‘Business Line’ is priced at four rupees for its twenty eight pages, Financial Chronicle costs only a rupee and a half for its twenty pages. Both have eight columns and obviously 'Business Line' is superior in appearance because of the paper quality and the print. Both the papers seemed to have the same font though Financial Chronicle's seems bigger. As for the content I really have no opinion to offer for reasons stated above. But I was glad Financial Chronicle too carried some non-financial and economy unrelated articles.

One article I had read a couple of days back in “The Hindu’, the one on Easterlin Paradox appeared in ‘Business Line’ today. In its supplement ‘Life’ there were articles on health and relationships. An article in it titled ‘Growth Story’ by Manjula Sundharam on parent-child bonding struck a chord in me because I had begun to do something recently that the article was suggesting.

I started sitting along with my son for dinner on a mat spread on the floor. He tells me about his day at school and what his friends did and that sort of talk all school going kids make. I listen patiently and I also try to tell him the interesting things that I saw on the roads. I didn’t really start it on purpose, but just as a way of spending some time with him. He leaves for school early in the morning and I return from office around seven so we rarely get enough time to talk. Of course, I do tell him a story at bedtime but with the blog and the work of typing the novel I am not doing it regularly.

Therefore, I was surprised to read in the article that a regular chat with your kids keeps them out of trouble in life. The article said that kids with whom their parents talk regularly are less likely to get addicted to smoking, drinking and drugs. It also helps them to develop a healthy mind it seems. I felt strangely happy knowing that I got one ‘parenting’ thing right.

The 'Financial Chronicle', on the other hand carried articles on the last page (called- None of My Business) on fashion and an interesting write up by Rajat Kapoor on his dad’s love for the movies. In the penultimate page there was an interesting article by Paulo Coelho on friendship. I do not know if FC carries such articles every day or only on Fridays. I might check tomorrow’s paper.

This is the link for Business Line's 'Life' supplement
www.businessline.in/life

This is the link for Financial Chronicle
www.mydigitalfc.com

No comments: