Sunday, April 06, 2008

A Mid-week Haul

The surprise find of Thursday evening was Lawrence Block’s ‘Writing the Novel: From Plot to Print’. I do not remember where I read about it, most probably in a Writer’s Digest magazine because the book is published by them. I had added the title to a long list of titles I am perpetually searching for. At last, I could strike off one title that I found after a very long search. It is another addition to the growing list of books on writing I keep buying in an (futile?) effort to improve my writing. Whether I succeed in learning to write even moderately well after reading all these books is a different matter but I am glad I found this book. Perhaps I could learn something from Lawrence Block. I haven’t read a single book of his, though.

I got the hardcover copy of ‘Writing the Novel’ for only a hundred rupees which is quite reasonable. The book runs into two hundred pages and seems packed with a lot of advice on writing novels. It is advice I badly need especially since my first novel is in progress. I hope I have not committed too many mistakes in writing it. I plan to start typing after a couple of days and then I will know where I went wrong.

I also found two more copies of the ‘Unison’ notebooks I had picked up at the store a couple of months ago. I wonder how these notebooks meant for sale in the USA ended up here. The notebooks are made in India. I don’t have an idea about their price there but here I got these 160-page, 27.9 X 22.8 cms notebook for only forty rupees each. The Thursday evening’s outing proved to be a productive one with these finds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aluguel de Computadores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aluguel-de-computadores.blogspot.com. A hug.

Vinod Ekbote said...

Thanks, Aluguel for the nice compliments.

Vinod