Sunday, April 20, 2008

Two Irritating Ads

Two ads on television and also in print are irritating me no end. One is the 'Idea' advertisement with Abhishek Bachan as a guide, and the other is for the TVS Flame bike. I find no logic in Idea ad where the concept of messaging is shown in a most dumb (no pun intended) manner. It neither entertains nor educates and in fact, insults the intelligence of the users. Do we need an ad in English to tell you can communicate through SMS? Which user of cell phones doesn't know it? I see no purpose in that ad and it makes me cringe every time I see Abhishek put on his loud guide act and mouth those inane lines. I feel 'ugh' whenever the ad comes on television.


The other ad is the TVS Flame ad. While the whole ad is quite I did not understand the logic behind a word used to describe a simple part of the bike. We are told that the bike sports 'Embedded TRafficators' as if it is some kind of an aircraft component. It is that kind of too-clever-by-half we copywriters are sometime prone to. Instead of saying 'Embedded Indicators' the copy writer has chosen to tell it in a very stupid way. Whoever wrote it certainly doesn't expect sales of the bike to increase just because it has 'embedded trafficators'.


Actually it is fun imagining how the owners of the bike would go and tell the mechanics that the 'embedded trafficators' on his bike are not working. The mechanic would simply give him a blank stare. It simply doesn't make any sense to me. 'Embedded trafficators', indeed! Guys, give us a break.

No comments: