Friday, July 17, 2009

Friday Miscellany


Discovering Monkeys

A couple of days ago there was a report in the papers that scientists were excited about the discovery of a new sub-species of monkey in the Amazon forests. I don’t understand why they were so excited by the discovery of just one species of monkey. Here in Hyderabad I discover hundreds of new monkeys on the roads every day. It is the most interesting part of my daily journeys, wondering what trick the motorist on the bike/car before me on the road would turn out.

Big Boss on the Prowl

A couple of days ago I was surprised to find that just when the rains have begun my colleagues in the municipality have decided to get the potholes filled up urgently. I wondered what was afoot though I felt glad I didn’t have to suffer a bone jarring ride on some stretches at least. But when I read in the papers that the Big Boss himself was touring the city I understood the zeal behind the pothole repairs. It makes me wonder if the rest of the citizens of this great city do not deserve to drive on pothole free roads. Of course, the potholes have been so fixed that the repair job lasts just one day if not a few hours.

The Necklace Road Routine

Last Sunday I was at the Necklace Road for my monthly dose of some morning calm. It was a glorious day without any rain though the sky was filled with clouds. However I felt the morning magic was missing. There were too many people around. It was my mistake because I had come rather too late. The best time seems to be around five or half past five in the morning when most of us would be under the covers blissfully asleep. But the half hour I spent looking at the placid waters was worth it. Later I sat in Adarsh restaurant leisurely reading the Sunday papers for over an hour while sipping Irani tea. This is the best part because there aren’t many people in the hotel at that hour of the day. I look forward to repeating it next month.

No comments: