Wednesday, July 08, 2009

The Sunday Haul...





... and Other Book Talk


The Sunday turned out to quite a bright and sunny one without the threat of rain though it had rained the night before. When I set out for Abids I had in mind to buy a book that I had missed last Sunday- John Barth’s ‘The Friday Book- Essays and Other Non-fiction.’ The book was in the same place it had been last week and I picked up the hardcover, almost new book. I got it for only thirty rupees. Till date I haven’t read anything by John Barth though I have come across ‘The Sotweed Factor’ that runs into hundreds of pages. Inside ‘Friday Book’ were numerous essays on writing and various other subjects. A cursory glance revealed that the style would difficult for me to follow. It was mercurial writing with complex sentences hiding more ideas than I could find.

I had also seen an old copy of ‘New Yorker’ that had an essay by Bill Bryson that he later used in his book- I did not pick it up though I could have got it for only twenty rupees.

‘Literary Review’ in The Hindu had something I felt happy about. Navtej Sarna in an article wrote about John Steinbeck’s ‘The Journal of a Novel’ that is a sort of diary Steinbeck maintained while writing ‘East of Eden.’ I am reading the same book nowadays trying to learn something about writing a novel. Sarna mentions that it is a book every one aspiring to write a book must read. I cannot but agree with that observation. However, Steinbeck had written a similar journal while writing his magnum opus ‘The Grapes of Wrath’, that is titled ‘Working Days’ written during the period 1938-41. I have this book too with me. It would have been better had Sarna mentioned this book also. Interestingly while Steinbeck wrote ‘East of Eden’ with a pencil, he used a pen to write ‘Grapes of Wrath.’

On Saturday I had been to Crossword at City Center Mall and picked up Amit Verma’s ‘My Friend Sancho’ that I hope to read sometime soon. It is just 217 pages long and I might be able to finish it in one sitting. Since I am at work revising my own book MFS has to wait for some time.

3 comments:

DKU said...

Hi Vinod.. where exactly in abids do u go about 'Hauling' ur books.. all i find are the'Chicken Soup' kinda things.. Is it the lane close to the Bata Showroom? btw.. MFS is an awesome read.. funniest i've read!

DKU said...

Hi Vinod.. where exactly in abids do u go about 'Hauling' ur books.. all i find are the'Chicken Soup' kinda things.. Is it the lane close to the Bata Showroom? btw.. MFS is an awesome read.. funniest i've read!

Vinod Ekbote said...

Thanks Divya,

Bata showroom and thereabouts is where I find my haul :) Only on Sundays though. Will read MFS later and maybe post a review.

Keep visiting