Wednesday, July 01, 2009

The Sunday Haul




Just like me my son too is crazy about flying and airplanes. He makes his own paper airplanes and also cardboard models. In fact he is quite good at them. So when I found an old manual about making model planes I picked it up. It had a model that could actually fly with the help of a propeller powered by a rubber band. I had been looking out for this since a long time. I felt very glad I found it.

The next find too was another flying manual- the manual of Flight Simulator 2000. I have the 2002 version on my computer though without the manual. The manual was lightweight and not very lengthy. It seemed perfect for my kid so I picked it up as well. I still haven’t mastered FS but he flies the planes on the stimulator far better than I can. My only worry was now he would pester me to buy the joystick I am putting off buying since it would mean he would spend long hours playing.

The best find of the day was a book by someone I was inspired by- Julia Cameron. A long time back, maybe an year and half ago I came across Julia Cameron’s ‘The Artist’s Way’ in which I read about ‘Morning Pages’ and other exercises of enhancing one’s creativity. It is a good exercise writing three pages in long hand eveery morning. It clears up a lot from the mind. A couple of months later I found another book by her ‘The Right to Write’ which too was a similar book except this was confined to writing only. I have read both the books and found them quite useful. I had read about another book by her ‘The Vein of Gold’ but did not expect to come across it, least of all at Abids.

I found Julia Cameron’s ‘The Vein of Gold’ almost hidden in a stack of books. If I hadn’t looked twice to check the author’s name I would have missed it. It was a pleasant find because I got the hardcover book for a hundred and twenty five rupees. It is quite a chunky book so I plan to read it slowly and maybe do some of the exercises suggested in the book. I had also seen another book I wanted to buy but left for the next week’s haul- John Barth’s ‘The Friday Book- Essays and Other Non-Fiction.’ It was a hardcover book and I planned to pick it up next week if it is still unsold. I saw another copy of Elmore Leonard’s ‘Stick’ but I did not buy it. That was the Sunday Haul

No comments: