Thursday, November 29, 2007

Dave Barry is King of Humor

One writer who I think is the funniest writer alive is my favorite writer- Dave Barry. Last month I had found a new book of his, “Dave Barry Hits Below the Beltway”. I couldn’t resist not reading the book which I had originally planned to read later. Yesterday evening I finished reading it and I found it absolutely hilarious. Each and every line in it evokes uncontrollable laughter. This book is about the US Government and is very, very funny. I am glad I found the book.

I had discovered Dave Barry about ten years back when Deccan Chronicle used to carry his columns every Monday. I was hooked to his writing from then. I found my first Dave Barry book at Gangarams which had a store near the Clock Tower in Secunderabad. The book was ‘Dave Barry Does Japan’ and I was rolling in laughter while reading it. Since then I have had an eye out for his books and I have almost all the books he has written. One of my friends also likes his writing and keep picking up extra copies for him and also for others.

Another humor writer I like is Bill Bryson who is also funny, but to me Dave Barry is king. His is the first on my list of favorite writers. One of my dreams is to meet Dave Barry and also Elmore Leonard. Another dream is to write like them but it is an impossible dream though I might, if I am lucky, get to meet the two someday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post leads me to read Dave Barry. Heard about him, but your post nudges me to look for him next. Great blog.

Vinod Ekbote said...

Thank you, Sudha Nair.