Wednesday, November 21, 2007

National Book Week and Hyderabad Book Fair

NATIONAL BOOK WEEK

The National Book Week ( Nov 14-20) ended yesterday and quietly. Not many knew about it and even I too was not aware of it until three days ago. None of the newspapers carried much news about the event and only in the Deccan Chronicle was there some kind of a list of celebrities and others regarding the books they had read or were reading. This was carried daily and that was the only Book Week related news I had read. There used to be a book exhibition by National Book Trust during the week but this year they seem to have forgotten about it or maybe, haven’t publicized much about it.


HYDERABAD BOOK FAIR

But the good news is that the Hyderabad Book Fair is beginning from December 7th at People’s Plaza on Necklace Road. It is usually a ten-day event and last year too it was held at the same place but it began from December 1st.

I have been attending this event regularly since the past twenty -two years. I remember the earliest of the events was in the open place where the Big Bazar now stands at the RTC Crossroads. It moved to several places over the years, including the City Central Library at Ashoknagar, Exhibition Grounds at Nampally, Keshav Memorial School in Narayanguda and also was held at the Nizam College Grounds.

I don’t pick many books here since I prefer buying my books second hand. But of late there are a few second hand book stalls in the Fair. Best Book Centre and MR Books have their stalls every year along with a couple of Mumbai based sellers. I remember the famous Select of Bangalore had their stall one year when the Fair was held in the Nizam College Grounds.

One thing I never fail to buy at the Book Fair is the ‘Sportstar’ cap that ‘The Hindu’ sells in its stall at the Fair. I love the quality of the cap but never get around to wearing it.

No comments: