Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Sunday Book Haul


Exactly three months later, the book sellers were allowed back in the Metro Estate this Sunday. Now the Abids book bazaar is back to its old avatar. After the bomb blasts in August 07 that took place in Hyderabad the lane was off limits to the book sellers. Three of the biggies have their places in that lane and this Sunday they were back with hundreds of books.

I had a good find this Sunday though I did not find anything new to be excited about. The first find was Ken Kesey’s ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’ that I picked up for just five rupees. IN another heap I found Kirk Douglas’ ‘The Ragman’s Son’. This is my second copy of this book and I couldn’t resist buying it as it was for only ten rupees.

I have read the first part of Kirk Douglas’ memoirs title 'Climbing the Mountain' and was very impressed by his writing. He is one of the limited number of actors who write well. The other actor-writers whose books I have are Dirk Bogarde, David Niven, Errol Flynn, and Sammy Davis Jr. Dirk Bogarde is my favorite though. He has also a book of the book reviews he had done and I don’t remember the title but it was very good.

Later I found a good hardcover edition of Elmore Leonard’s ‘Bandits’ that I got for only thirty rupees. Only a few weeks earlier I had picked up a paperback of this book. I have three copies of this book but haven’t come across a fan of his writing yet to swap it with

I picked up two magazines- September 07 issue of ‘Man’s World’ that had an article on fountain pens, and the other magazine was the October 07 issue of ‘Men’s Journal’. It was the latest issue so I picked it up. Both these magazines I got for only ten rupees each.

With the three books I bought this Sunday the total number of books I bought this year comes to 190. I guess I will easily cross 200. Last year I had bought around 175 books but have managed to read only a few of them. With a regular job, a few writing projects on hand plus this blog I am not finding much time to read all the books I am buying.

No comments: