Saturday, November 17, 2007

Finding another new Elmore Leonard book

One of the most exciting finds in recent times was the book I found yesterday at the MR sale at Begumpet. I found a new book by Elmore Leonard –Mr. Paradise. I was excited to see this new title which I had not seen in any list. I picked it up instantly. It was a hardcover copy and was in brand new condition with the jacket intact. I was excited with the find and was eager to go home and check it out in detail. But I lingered on and browsed the thousands of books in the sale.

I saw ‘Dave Barry Turns 50’, ‘Under the Tuscan Sun’ by Frances Mayes, Joe Queenan’s ‘My Goodness; A Cynic's Shortlived Search for Sainthood', and also two other Elmore Leonard books- Killshot and Out of Sight which I have at home. I wanted to buy the Dave Barry book but I have one copy at home. I might pick up all these books sometime next week and give them to friends who might appreciate them.

After I got home I was pleasantly surprised to find that the William Morrow edition of ‘Mr.Paradise’ published in 2004 was a First Edition. I’ve read about how coveted First Editions are and here I was with one. I have to check out more about it on the net. There was a list of 39 books by Elmore Leonard and realized I don’t have these titles-


-When the Women Come Out to Dance
-The Tonto Woman and Other Western Stories
-Stick
-Cat Chaser
-Gunsights
-The Switch
-The Hunted
-Unknown Man No.89
-Swag
-Fifty Two Pickup
-Mr.Majestyk
-Forty Lashes Less One
-Valdez is Coming
-The Big Bounce

-Hombre
-The Bounty Hunters

On the flap it was mentioned that the first two books were collections of short stories of his. I had read only one short story of Elmore Leonard, Three Ten to Yuma, in the collection of classic western short stories that I found a few weeks ago.

On the back of the book, like most of his books, there’s a picture of Elmore Leonard wearing a dazzling white full sleeved shirt tucked into a pair of jeans. I was glad to notice I have one thing in common with the great writer. I too don’t wear a belt with my jeans
.

No comments: