Monday, November 05, 2007

Getting Started on My First Novel

My First Novel

Writing wise it was a good beginning to the month. I started on my first novel (actually it is the second but more about it in another post) writing it for the NaNoWriMo thing. I have written ten thousand words already and am amazed at the rising word count. When I first began writing it on the first of November I felt I may not be able to complete and would leave it like so many of my writing projects. But I am determined to finish the novel, however badly it is written. I will work on it later and bring it to a shape. But right now, it is tap, tap, tap.

It feels odd writing a novel this way focusing on the word count rather than on the story. The priority is on writing the day's qouta. I am typing it off in half the day finding time whenever possible. I am trying to write more than the day's quota so that I don't have to worry if I miss a day's writing. Right now it appears fun but I guess the second week on wards it is going to be tough. My novel is going in all directions and I am struggling to keep it moving in the way I had planned to write it ten years ago.

As on today I have written ten thousand words and by the end of the day I plan to write another thousand words. I plan to write a 75000- 90000 word novel by the end of the month. It appears difficult but it is not impossible.

No comments: