Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Happy Side Effect of Blogging

Quite out of the blue I got a message yesterday through a comment in this blog that I’d won a prize of a dinner for two at a swank hotel in Hyderabad. The message was from Explocity people, publishers of ‘040’ magazine who chose a post from my blog as ‘Pick of the Month’. The dinner is at Novotel in faraway Madhapur.

It was a pleasant surprise later to read the post that was carried on the last page of the glossy magazine. The latest issue (March 2008) of the magazine looked quite attractive though not because of my post! I couldn’t find the magazine anywhere on the streets and when I asked at Odyssey they said they don’t stock the magazine. I finally got it at Walden at Begumpet.

This isn’t the first time I got such a prize though. Ten years ago I had sent my entry to a ‘Wittiest New Year Resolution’ contest in Indian Express. My entry got me the first prize which was a meal for four at the Grand Kakatiya. I took along three friends and we had a grand time hogging all that stuff. My friends remember that occasion to this day. For this dinner at Novotel, I plan to go with my family. My kid has already started planning the menu!

This is certainly one of the happy side effects of writing a blog. I will write about the dinner in a later post.

4 comments:

Daniel. I said...

Hi vinod,

I have been following up on your posts I really find them interesting. keep blogging. And regarding the prize,I wish I were you. ;) Have a great time!

Bye.
Daniel

Vinod Ekbote said...

Daniel, thank you very much. Keep reading the blog. I promise to make it more interesting. Coming up soon are funny posts on Hyderabadis.

Vinod

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Hi Vinod...congratulations...I already said this during our brief chat a few days ago...just for kicks, I want to repeat it here, with all good intentions and humour...Every Blog has its Day...enjoy with your family at Novotel...and pass us beleaguered bloggers some useful tips on how to win such prizes...

Vinod Ekbote said...

Thanks Jai.

The only thing I learnt is to try to write well and regularly. :-)

Vinod