Saturday, March 22, 2008

A Writing Dream

About a decade ago, I began to take my writing a little seriously feeling I was going nowhere keeping the writing dreams to myself. In 1996, I came across an IGNOU ad and registered for a Diploma in Creative Writing in English. Though I did not complete it, the course was useful in two ways. My writing career took off when one of the assignments I did as part of my course ended up being published as a middle in a newspaper. The other thing was that all the friends I made in that batch. A couple of them still keep in touch with me almost on a daily basis.

Since then I have managed to get about thirty of my articles published in various newspapers (Deccan Chronicle, The Hindu, Indian Express) and magazines. I am not such a prolific writer hence the small number of articles I could get published. Also, most of them are humorous in nature, and writing humor isn’t such an easy thing. Hence, the trickle of articles.

I learnt a little from the IGNOU course material but I felt I needed something clear and definite. I found Somerset Maugham’s “Summing Up’ and that book started a hunger for books on writing that still burns. Later I found Stephen King’s “On Writing’ which inspired me enough to start my first book. I began collecting several books on writing but still feel I have a lot to learn about writing. Perhaps I am looking for some magic mantra of writing but I keep buying books on writing all the time in the hope I would find something new and useful in each book.

I know my writing is not perfect and has many drawbacks and faults. Some I know and am constantly trying to rectify those defects. But there are many things that are wrong with my writing. There are many things about writing I am unaware of and am desperate to learn more. One can learn the craft but one can only understand the art of writing and yet not be able to bring it out in one’s writing. It is this missing component or aspect of writing that I am trying to find.

The books on writing that I’ve read gave me only a glimpse of the art behind the writing but they are not enough to teach you the art. For that one needs a mentor and a mentor is what I am lacking. I haven’t met any senior and successful writer who could guide me in my writing. A mentor cuts short the time one takes to learn any art. A mentor tells you what is wrong with your art in a flash. A mentor can guide you in the proper direction after seeing what strengths you possess. But unfortunately, it is a mentor I lack. I feel this lack is resulting in writing that is mediocre and at best quite ordinary.

For some time I have been thinking that doing a Writing Workshop would put me in a situation where I would be able to understand the art and, if I am lucky, also meet a mentor who would put me on the path to good writing. Some established writers are of the opinion that writer’s workshops are no good. Some like Stephen King (one of my gurus) say doing one isn’t such a bad idea. Hampered by the lack of a true mentor I am seriously considering doing a workshop abroad. There aren’t any writers workshops conducted in India. Even if they are, they are conducted by professional writers but not by true writers, the sort for whom writing is not just a profession but a way of living.

I searched on the net and came across the Summer Writing Workshops of Iowa University that are offered in June-July every year. Anyone over twenty one with a desire to write is eligible to do these workshops. I have gone through the different types of workshops they offer. I find that the weeklong workshops on the various aspects and types of writing might be useful to any writer starting out on a writing career. I am now dreaming of doing three or four of those weeklong workshops which I hope will fill all or most of the gaps that my writing at present suffers from. The more I read about the workshops, the stronger is my urge to do the workshops offered at Iowa University.

But dreaming alone is not enough. One needs money to make some of them come true. To travel to Iowa, stay there and do the four workshops I have short-listed, I would need around ten thousand dollars which come to around four lakh rupees in Indian currency. It is a big amount and I do not have so much money in my savings. The workshops begin in June but it is an impossible task to raise the monies by then.

But I am optimistic that something will pop up. Something will, I am sure.

2 comments:

Eru said...

"when something can be read with ease, a lot of effort has gone into its writing"....d quote perfectly suits ur writin...keep it goin...n gud luck 4 ur endeavours in writin career :)

Vinod Ekbote said...

Renee,

Thank you very much for your comments. It's made my day. I am glad you liked my writing. Thanks for your good wishes too.

Vinod