Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Tipping in Irani Restaurants

From where I work at Gunfoundry, four Irani restaurants are in the vicinity within walking distance. I visit only one regularly for my afternoon cup- Bombay Bakery and Restaurant. Another I drop in for the morning cuppa sometimes- Adarsh is at Adarshnagar. I cannot do without at least one cup of Irani tea every day. Sometimes I feel my brain would cease to function if I do not drink Irani tea at least once daily. I guess all true blue Hyderabadis feel similarly.


Yesterday evening I dropped in at another Irani which I frequent only occasionally-the ‘Lavish Corner’ near LB Stadium opposite the Westside Store. As with other places, finding a seat is quite difficult during the peak hours of four to seven in the evening. I had one of the tastiest cups of tea I ever had in recent times and it was worth the five bucks the tea costs. In the other places the price of one cup of tea is still four rupees a cup.

One tip for getting good service at Irani restaurants in Hyderabad is to be a regular at the place and leave a small tip to the waiters. Even a one-rupee tip is enough, which is what I leave for the guy who brings me my tea. The regular tipping ensures I get a ‘salaam’ from the waiter as well as tea in a clean cup without any tea spilt in the saucer. In most Irani restaurants you wilI find that half the tea is in saucer and the cup is half floating in it. I get the same service at both the places where the waiters recognize me and get me my tea even before I order it. That’s what tipping is for.

No comments: