Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Pico Iyer, My Book and the Roads of Hyderabad

Pico Iyer seems to be churning out books faster than I can read them. While three of his books that I picked up over the years (of them, two I picked up only recently) remain on my table waiting to be read, there trickles in the news that another of his book has hit the shelves. The latest book 'The Open Road' is on the Dalai Lama it seems. I guess I have to read all his books that I am waiting for the right time to read before I can even think of buying the latest book. I wonder how long it will take for the book to turn up on the pavements at Abids. I guess it will be better if I buy a new copy than wait for a second hand copy. That’s the least I can do for a writer who remains a favorite on the list.

*****
After two days of continuous rain followed by two cloudy days the sun has finally come out today spreading the kind of radiance that follows a period of hiding. It is wonderful weather out there. I am lucky I sit just inches away from a door which allows me a view of a fair slice of sky, trees and other buildings. In no time will the sun suck up all the water from the pools and puddles that have formed on the roads of Hyderabad, exposing the damaged roads. The roads in Hyderabad are just as dangerous as the traffic that moves on the roads.

*****
I am on the verge of reaching a major milestone. I am a few pages short of completing my first novel. All my waking hours I am thinking about is the scenes in the book and I am unable to read, look at the television or hold a meaningful conversation with family members. I’m just grunting when they ask me anything. Its been going on since a few weeks like this and they have learnt to leave me alone with my pen and papers.


I am completely absorbed by the book as I struggle towards the ending. I might finish it tomorrow morning and already I am feeling the weight beginning to shift. I’ve lined up a few goodies for myself for having completed the first draft of my first novel- an iPod, a nice and expensive fountain pen (maybe a Pelikan), and a few notebooks and books. All I need now is the money to buy them!

No comments: