Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Last of the Sunday's Haul- Best Life, Fatherhood Special


One is a father all the time; there is no break from it. The last and perhaps the best of the three magazines I found on Sunday last was the ‘Men’s Health Best Life’ Fatherhood Special of June 2006. Being a guy I like to read such stuff about how other guys take care of one’s health, emotions, finances but the best are the one’s about advice on fatherhood. I have a ten-year old son and I want him to grow up with good memories of his childhood. I want to be as good a parent as I can. The memories of our childhood are the ones that carry us forward, I feel.



This issue had a lot of interesting articles. I don’t find this kind of stuff in Indian magazines like ‘Man’s World’ and such glossies which have pages and pages of skimpily clad women mostly. Indian magazines try to imitate the foreign ones like “Men’s Journal’, ‘Esquire’, ‘GQ’ and such magazines. We cannot seem to be original in anything.



However there was a lot in “Best Life’ that I found interesting. There was a small feature about a real SUV, the Austrian ‘Pinzgauer’. Peter Carey writes about the book that changed his life- William Faulkner’s ‘As I Lay Dying’. I haven’t read this book or any of Faulkner’s books, sadly. There was a lot of the usual advice on fitness, health etc. Since it was a 'Fatherhood Special there were several articles about different aspects of parenting- how to teach your kids about money, about dressing, about fitness and looking after yourself.

One of the best articles I read in the magazine was the one by Maximillian Potter titled ‘Prodigal Father’, which is about his wayward father who gave up drinking and gambling to pay for his son’s education. It was a touching article.

Though I was lucky I got this magazine for only ten rupees I feel I am lucky to have found it at all. Tomorrow is Sunday and I wonder what I will find at Abids. Learn about it on Monday.

No comments: