Friday, March 28, 2008

On Reaching another Milestone

After almost three years of working at my first novel, I reached the end yesterday morning. I felt strangely elated at having finally completed a long journey that began two and half years ago (Sept 19, 2005). It is only the first draft though, but I feel I have achieved something quite big. (It is really big, all of 400 pages.) I want to share some of my experiences writing that first book.

When I first began hesitantly I had no idea (and also, no hope) that I would one day actually finish it. I started out writing a few paragraphs every day for some months, and then I reached the stage when I was able to write one side of the page. By the time I reached the half way mark I was writing one page a day. Then I realized the story was growing and that there was a possibility that I would be able to complete what I had started. There were long gaps in between. The longest gap was a year when I went to the Andamans, ironically, with the intention of getting away from it all and focusing on the book. I didn’t touch it for a year after returning from the trip. Then one day I took it out and started again.

One page a day was the normal pace which sometimes rose to two pages a day. When I began to reward myself for reaching milestones of 50 pages the pace increased. I began to write two pages a day regularly. I have a full time job from 10 to late evening. I wrote in the morning after breakfast and before starting for office. I wrote before going to bed. The book was never far from the mind. For some time when I was working in an outfit along with cops in civvies doing some intense work the work got in the way. I was frustrated but found the writing actually helped me write better reports at work. I actually got rewards for writing good reports at office. I felt like Bernard Samson in Len Deighton’s books. When I got out of that department the pace increased. I wrote three pages a day on some days and this month I actually wrote five pages a day, for three days.


When I started I told no one fearing talking about the book would somehow freeze the story. Later, I told a few friends. As for family, only my son was interested in the book asking me a million questions about the story (which is autobiographical as all or most first books are), and getting excited as the pile of pages mounted on the table. After some time I felt I was writing the book for my son. I guess I completed for his sake. But for his interest I would have abandoned it long ago.

It is only the first draft written on paper with a fountain pen. I know there is a long way to go before I can even think of sending it to a publisher. Right now, I am not even thinking of publication. All I want to do it is to type it and revise until I am satisfied with it. That’s the general plan and it might take another year but I am not bothered because I know if I managed to complete writing it, I have it in me to see it to its logical end.

2 comments:

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Dear Vinod...you deserve the highest degree of congratulations for completing your novel...I have been going through your posts and when I saw your most recent post, I felt very happy...believe me, this comes from a researcher and writer, writing is a hard task...and if it is a novel or a short story...you have to be at it relentlessly...As and when your novel gets published, yours truly would surely buy a copy...enjoy the fruits of your labour...congrats again...

Jaysrinivasa Rao

Vinod Ekbote said...

Jai...thank you very much. The first copy of my book is yours!! Your feedback encourages me to bring out a good book. Thanks once again.

Vinod