Friday, January 18, 2008

Irani Tea to Cost More in Hyderabad

Two days ago there was a report in the local newspapers that the Hotel Owners Association in Hyderabad had decided to hike the price of Irani chai. Apparently the rise in price of gas, worker’s wages and such things made it inevitable for them to raise the price of this Hyderabadi favorite. No mention was made how much the hike would be because in Hyderabad, each Irani decides how much a cup of Irani is charged. As of now the cost of a cup of tea remains what it was all the time.

The average price for a cup of chai in Hyderabad varies from Rs 3 to Rs 3. At Adarsh where I have my morning cup it is Rs 3-50 and it is Rs. 4 at Bombay Bakery where I have the afternoon cup. Only a few months ago it was Rs 3-50 at BBR. Rs. 4 is a convenient price for me because I would be left with a change of one rupee which I give to the waiter as a tip. This tip guarantees me immediate attention in that busy hotel and also tea in an unspilt cup.

In a few Irani hotels ‘single tea’ is served which costs only Rs 2. It is a little more than half cup but it serves to satisfy the palate. At ‘Light of Asia’ in Abids where I drop in during my Sunday book hunts, I drink this ‘single’ tea sometimes.

At all these hotels you will find small notice boards with ‘Tea Rs 4 with effect from 1-1007’ or something like that to remind you of the last time the price of tea was raised. Also, in the offing is a fuel price hike after which there might be another hike in chai price. Wait and watch. Until then enjoy the chai.

No comments: