Monday, January 14, 2008

The Sunday Haul of Books


For the first time in my life I bought something in a language I cannot read. Yesterday at Abids I found an Arabic magazine and bought it because it was on fountain pens and I cannot resist anything on fountain pens. It had dozens of gorgeous pics of fountain pens on its glossy pages. I ogled at the pens though I couldn’t understand a word of what was written in it. The only words in English were the title of the magazine- ‘Pen.Me’, and what it means I don’t know.

When I started out in the morning on Sunday I had a vague feeling I would be finding something on fountain pens but didn’t know it would be in Arabic!

I also found another magazine, the June 2007 issue of Conde Nast Traveller. In an article on China, titled ‘Magic Mountains’, there is a beautiful photograph of three fishermen on a river which seemed to be shimmering. The photograph's taken by Ken Griffiths and is one of the most beautiful photograph I’ve seen in recent times.

Both these magazines I got for ten bucks each. Last week I saw the latest issue of Conde Nast Traveller at the Odyssey Store at Punjagutta. I checked the price and found it was over six hundred rupees!
In the evening I went to the sale of Best Books at YWCA as it was the last day of the sale. I picked up another copy of Peter Mayle’s ‘Acquired Tastes’ for fifty rupees. This was in a slightly better condition than the one I had bought sometime last year. There are two days of holidays ahead and I want to read as much as I can.

No comments: