Friday, January 11, 2008

'This Month's 'Literary Review' in 'The Hindu'

Last Sunday happened to be the first Sunday of the year as well as of the month and I was waiting for it eagerly. It brought with it "Literary Review" in 'The Hindu". This month there was more coverage was on poets and poetry with three articles on that genre.


The front page story was about the 'Prakriti Poetry Festival' held in Chennai recently. Poetry was defined as the art of public utterance. In the article by Renuka Rajaratnam I couldn't understand one phrase- 'passivity of objectification.' I feel daunted by the jargon used by literary academics and wonder why they don't use simple words to express themselves. Beats me.


Just below the front page article was an interview with Meena Kandaswamy, a Dalit poet. In the inside pages there is a review by this same poet. Elsewhere was a review of the works of Anjum Hasan, poet and novelist. The photograph of Anjum Hasan was nice and she looked totally different than when she was in Hyderabad sometime early last year. I have her copy of 'Street on the Hill', work of her beautiful poetry.



But the most interesting was Pradeep Sebastian's column in which he talks about his attempts to whittle down his collection of books. Wish I knew where he lives so I could ask for some of his books that he wants to give away.

No comments: