Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Pico Iyer and Everyman's Naipaul, Paul Theroux

With every article that I am reading in ‘Tropical Classical’ I’m finding it difficult not to be a fan of Pico Iyer’s writing. His is such an exquisite style coupled with such startling insights that I’ve now resolved to read all his books. I’ve got only one of his books- Video Nights in Kathmandu- which I plan to read after completing ‘Tropical Classical’. On one hand is the urgent desire to read all the essays in the book and on the other hand is that sinking feeling the book will end pretty soon. I don’t want the book to end and so I’m reading it s-l-o-w-l-y, one essay after another, savoring each sentence.

In his review of ‘Happy Isles of Oceania’ (written by one of my favorite writers, Paul Theroux) which is titled ‘Richard Burton in the Peace Corps’, Pico Iyer writes more about Paul Theroux than the book. He describes Theroux as ‘Everyman’s Naipaul’ and also compares him with Thoreau. Pico Iyer writes that Paul Theroux shares many traits with Thoreau- ‘unassimilable crankiness, the same rage at bigotry, the same quirky erudition.’ It is a balanced portrait that he paints of Theroux and his failings.

One of the minor pleasures of life is discovering that you share some traits with the person you admire. I was glad to read in this review that Theroux is a fish eating vegetarian and drinks green tea. If only I could write as well as him!

No comments: