Saturday, June 28, 2008

'Deep Revision'- A Book on Revision

One of the two books I had picked up yesterday (apart from GV Desani’s ‘Hali and Collected Stories’) was a book that adds to my growing collection of books on writing. ‘Deep Revision’ by Meredith Sue Williams is the other book I had picked up yesterday in the hope it would help me in the rewriting and revision of my first book that I am typing out now. Incidentally I am nearing another milestone that I will write about shortly.

‘Deep Revision’, according to its sub-title, is ‘A Guide for Teachers, Students, and Other Writers’ which needs no explanation. Being a sucker for books on writing I picked up this book for fifty rupees at the second hand book store I had been to yesterday. The book has a total of eleven chapters divided into three parts. There are a lot of exercises to be done in this practical book and I hope reading this book helps me write a better book. I do not have many books on rewriting and editing apart from another book, ‘The Craft of Revision’ by Donald M Murray, which, incidentally, is also listed in the bibliography at the back of the book.


The author, Meredith Sue Willis, teaches writing from elementary to college levels, according to the blurb at the back. Willis has also written two other books on writing- ‘Blazing Pencils: A Guide to Writing Fiction & Essays’ and ‘Personal Fiction Writing: A Guide to Writing from Real Life’. The latter book sounds interesting but I don’t think I will come across it at Abids or in any other bookstore.

No comments: