Monday, June 23, 2008

Hyderabad House Doesn't Have It

When Hyderabad House opened years ago everyone thought it would give Paradise and other biryani joints a run for their money. But though Hyderabad House seemed to open new branches regularly (I heard there’s one in the new airport) it hasn’t exactly set the Musi on fire with its bland food and sloppy service. The food seems to be no great shakes as I discovered last Friday when a friend took me there for dinner. However, if he had asked me I would have opted for Paradise but since it was his treat he had the choice of place so off we went to the Himayatnagar branch of HH.

The first thing that struck me was that it is the place of choice for the sort of people who like to eat their biryanis with a spoon and fork. Everyone in the tiny restaurant seemed to be eating biryani with spoons and forks. We were the only ones using our hands. The place was cramped and had only few tables arranged too close for comfort. The service wasn’t great either because when we asked for the fish or prawn dishes our waiter first said it was available and a few minutes later he told us it was not available.

When we asked if they had any egg preparations he told us they don’t prepare them in HH as if it was a dish too insignificant to be prepared. Then our mixed vegetable curry came which was as bland as bland could be. There was no salt or spice in it, and when we told the waiter he told us HH prides itself in not using too much spice. I wanted to tell him it had no taste at all but waited for the biryani.

Now, in Hyderabad one can find one’s way to a biryani joint with the nose, so rich is the aroma of authentic biryani. Though I lifted the dish in HH within millimeters of my nose I could not smell the distinct aroma. It had only the appearance of biryani and had neither the aroma or the flavor. It was getting disappointing with each dish. My friend regretted his choice of venue but what saved the day was the ‘double ka meetha’ which was really good. Another saving grace was our waiter (Robin) who took our ribbing about the food with a smile and was very courteous. But waiters alone don’t make a good restaurant.

Finally, another niggling doubt remained over whether it is ‘Qurbani ka meetha’ as was written on the display or ‘Qubani ka meetha’ as I know it. As far as I know it is ‘qubani’ not ‘qurbani’, so HH, my thumbs down if you haven’t got the name of Hyderabad’s signature dessert right.
It was an experience I wouldn’t like to repeat. It is Paradise for me any day or any other joint where they don’t ask you to fill a form if you complain about the food just like we were asked to do at HH. In real biryani joints the waiters would take back your plate and yell at the cook about it and get a fresh one. Here at HH you have to fill a lengthy form including your date of birth in the form, as if they are going to surprise you with a free biryani on your birthday. I wouldn’t want to eat the biryani at HH even if it was on the house. Not even on my birthday.

2 comments:

Sameer said...

Hi Vinod
Good to see you going strong on your blog.

I agree about Biryani at HH. It usually is a disappointment.

A few weeks back we had gone to Paradise. It was one of the best biryanis that I have eaten in quite a while.
http://eatoutinhyderabad.blogspot.com/2008/06/biryani-at-paradise-secunderabad.html

You might want to check out the biryani at Garden Restaurant, Clocktower, SecBad and Biryani Darbar, Trimulgherry. Good stuff. Do let me know of other biryani joints that you frequent.
Regards
Sameer

Vinod Ekbote said...

Sameer, thank you. It is still ten odd posts to reach 250. Keep reading to find more about other biryani and Irani tea joints.

Vinod