Sunday, June 29, 2008

On The Last Lap

Today morning I reached another milestone in the writing, or rather typing, of my novel’s manuscript. I reached the 300th page which brings me almost three fourths of the way to the end. I still have a hundred and odd pages to type but I am excited since I am on the last lap. It might take me another ten or fifteen days to complete the typing. I am eagerly looking forward to the day when I will finally type the last page of the manuscript.

Everyday when I sit down to type the manuscript I begin with a bit of cursing. I curse myself for not having the sense to foresee the kind of ordeal I would get into if I don’t type the pages I had written on the same day. I am spending at least four to five hours a day typing around ten pages a day. I am waking up before the crack of dawn and beginning to work on the typing. It is difficult work but I am learning to enjoy it as I read the story I have written over a period of almost three years. So far it looks okay but I can also see it needs major changes that I am looking forward to do.

If typing the manuscript is one thing then the real and most important work would be the revision, rewriting and editing it. I plan to take a fortnight’s break before beginning the rewriting and editing work. I don’t know how the experience would be but I am looking forward to that challenge. Typing itself had been a kind of a challenge since I had set a daily goal in order to finish the typing by a particular date, which is July 31 but I will be finishing much before it. I want to be done with the revision and rewriting the book by the end of the year and also submit it somewhere. But by the end of the year I want to finish it. I am sure I can do it.

No comments: