Friday, June 27, 2008

A MId week Haul

It is that time of the month when no one in his right mind would think of splurging the last of the depleting finances on something inessential as books. But that is just what I did today afternoon at a second hand bookstore, shelling out more than hundred rupees to buy two books. One of the books I picked today was by an author I had heard a lot about but never found a single book of at Abids or anywhere for that matter. The author is GV Desani.
There are a few books I have been trying to lay my hands on since more than a decade. One of them is GV Desani's 'All About H. Hatterr' that I have heard, is the best Indian English book ever written. It is said to be very hilarious and something out of the world. I have been on the look out for this book but till date haven't found it. But today, I found another book by GV Desani which is titled 'Hali and Collected Stories' which is a Penguin imprint. I was more than glad I got it and did not think twice about buying it. There was no way I was going to let it pass. even though it meant I wouldn't be having much money for the Abids trip on Sunday or for the petrol for my bike. So I picked it up.
'Hali and Collected Stories' has twenty four stories in it that I hope to begin right away. Because they are all short stories I wouldn't mind spending a few minutes away from my typing to read them.
This is what the Publisher's Weekly has to say about Desani: 'A master of subtle metaphysical comedies, a fabulist, fantasist, moralist, and keen satirist of life's follies, absurdities and ego trips.' I can hardly wait to begin reading the book.
But still, it is 'All About H.Hatterr' that I am on the look out for.

No comments: