Sunday, June 01, 2008

Sunday Talk, Election Results and a Mysterious Operation

It was the first Sunday of the month which brings with it “The Literary Review’ in ‘The Hindu.’ I was waiting eagerly for it since yesterday evening. There was another reason for the excitement in Hyderabad. It was counting day and fates of those who had contested the by-election would be known by afternoon. Of course, being Sunday there was also the Abids visit.

Amitav Ghosh’s latest book, ‘Sea of Poppies’ was reviewed in TLR and is described as a ‘most incisive engagement with imperialism.’ There was also a full page interview on the front page which I read avidly. I am yet to buy and read this book. The short review sparked an urgent desire to get hold of this book as soon as possible. Inside, there was another favorite writer featured in an interview- MT Vasudevan Nair. Though I haven’t yet read a single book of his I am amazed at his versatility and simplicity. I have to look for a good translation of his works since I cannot read Malayalam.

The election results that trickled in the afternoon showed mixed performances. I was disappointed to note that the candidate who had visited our lane lost the election. I happened to be pass the office of this candidate which is on the main road while returning from Abids in the afternoon. It was deserted and not a single soul was in sight. They must be all drowning their sorrows somewhere. But they have to wait for another year when the elections would be held again.

There aren’t many thrills when you work for the Government but yesterday I was told of a mysterious assignment I was being involved in. It begins early in the morning and is something I had read quite a lot about and also had wondered about. I cannot write about it here at this stage but I will do a post on it afterwards.

Meanwhile I am beside myself with anxiety and nervousness because we have only been told to gather at a place. It is all hush hush right now and nobody knows when we’d return. Some say it won’t take more than half a day and some say it will take more than two days if it is a big case. In that case, we have to remain in the same clothes until the assignment is over. I am already beginning to feel like a character in an Elmore Leonard novel.

No comments: