Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Father's Day Thoughts

Exactly twenty years ago I lost my dad and ten years ago I became a father myself. Though my kid is ten years old and a decade has passed I continue to have doubts about my capabilities or abilities as a father. I am forever thinking that I am not doing enough for him and that I might fail him as a father. I am forever trying to teach him all I can while I can.

I had read somewhere that the best way to teach a child something is by example. I do not know what he learnt from me but one thing I am certain is his love of reading. He stares at the growing piles of books in the house with fascination and has a collection of his own comics and books that he likes to read. I think I have taught him the love of books by example. This, I am sure he will be grateful for just as I am grateful to my dad for the same.

I have been thinking of how to write about a magazine I had found a couple of weeks back and now Father’s Day provided me the chance. The magazine I picked up was the July 2002 issue of ‘Men’s Fitness’ magazine. It had a wonderful article titled: 51 Things Your Father Should Have Taught You. Some of the things in the article include:

Do things hard way sometimes- it’s good practice.

Stand up straight, shake hands firmly and look people in the eye.

Life is short. Enjoy it. ( this is the best piece of advice)

No discomfort, no gain.

Don’t lose track of your old friends; it’s important to have people around who know where you came from.

Watch out how a woman treats other people; sooner or later she’ll treat you that way, too.

Watch out how you treat your mother; sooner or later you’ll treat other women that way too.

If you’re going to waste time, at least do it with your buddies.

Give your own son advice even if he doesn’t seem to be listening; he’ll remember it when he really needs to.

I guess it is easy to become a father but difficult being a father.

2 comments:

Harimohan said...

Vinod bhai,
That was very profound - about becoming a father and being a father. Also very funny!
I am awaiting your blog on the Irani cafe expereince with as much anticipation as I am awaiting your review of Karan Bajaj's book. By the way, I noticed the subtle changes you incorporated in the blog writing - its very nice.
Keep going. Your blogs a fine read.
Hari

Vinod Ekbote said...

Thank you, Hari.

Coming from someone who has written a bestseller, your comment means a lot to me. Next post is on the Irani.

But, I rarely get that profound!

Vinod