Thursday, June 05, 2008

The Sunday Haul

The Sunday haul netted more magazines than books this week. It was hot in Hyderabad as can be expected in June with the sun beating down fiercely. However there were more people this Sunday than the previous ones. There were the usual book sellers at their unique spots except one who did not appear this week leaving me disappointed because he had the two books I had seen last week. I had decided to pick them up this Sunday.

The first find of this Sunday was a photography magazine. I have a digital camera that I bought in Port Blair two years ago. Till date I have not been able to figure out some of its features so I thought the magazine would help. It was a special supplement of ‘Better Photography’ of October 2007. The cover said it was the 125th Mega issue with 125 Best Tips and Tricks. I got it for five rupees.

The second find was another was ‘The New Yorker’ magazine dated March 10, 2008. I am getting to see a lot of the latest issues of this magazine. The one I picked up was because it had a fiction piece by Hari Kunzru titled ‘Raj, Bohemian.’ Incidentally I saw his book ‘Transmission’ for a hundred bucks which I felt was too high.

The third magazine was the July 2002 issue of ‘Men’s Fitness’ which had an article I was drawn to- 51 Things Your Father Should Have Taught You. I wanted to see how many were there in it that my father taught me. Then I want to see how many there are I can teach my kid. A later post will feature this magazine and the article.

The first book find was an unusual book. I don’t know if I bought it because it was a Penguin imprint, or because it was cheap at only ten rupees or because it was a sort of travel book. It was ‘The Strange Voyage of Donald Crowhurst’ by Nicholas TOmalin and Ron Hall. I have a feeling that I had read about this book only recently but am not able to recollect where and when I read about it. The book was about a participant in the Sunday Times non-stop around the world boat race in 1968, who faked the journey and it seems, disappeared at sea.

The last find of Sunday was ‘Packrat Papers, Volume I’- Tips on Equipment for Campers, Backpackers and Those Who Travel Lightly. I don’t travel much though I love to so I have a sort of weakness for any book on travel related stuff. I got it for only fifteen rupees. That was this Sunday's haul. The rains are likely to pour down anytime and I wonder how it will be next Sunday.

No comments: