Thursday, July 10, 2008

At Last It's Over

A couple of hours ago I experienced one of the most satisfying moments of my life when I typed the last page of the long manuscript of my first book. I typed the 407th page at last and came to the end of a weeks-long odyssey filled with hours and hours of sitting hunched over the laptop typing out the hand written manuscript. Yesterday was another high, when I typed twenty (yes, 20) pages in a day. It was a new record and I still am not able to believe it I did it. My highest so far was thirteen pages in a day.

When I finished typing the last line it felt like I was on top of a mountain. With the completion of the typing of my handwritten manuscript I have trundled past another goal. The real writing begins now I guess as I prepare for the revisions and rewritings. I plan to do it slowly and later. I need to mentally prepare for the next phase in writing the book.

But first I want to take a break for about two or three weeks to catch up on my reading and other activities which had taken a backseat during the past few weeks. Most of all I want to read the way I used to read long time back , a couple of books simultaneously. I plan to read at least ten books in these three books before I start the revision in August. I don’t have an idea right now how many revisions I will be making so I don’t know when I will finally finish. But I want to have a final draft ready by end of October or early in November.

All these days it has been hectic all through the day waking up at half past four and beginning my daily routine and ending up at around ten after doing at least ten pages of typing. I was so busy almost every minute now it feels like time stretches out before me endlessly. I have to read to fill up all the time and also go out to a lot of places I have stopped going. Today I plan to drop in on a second hand book seller and check out the books. I have to buy Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s ‘Living to Tell the Tale’ sometime soon as a reward for myself for completing the typing.


There is so much to write about the typing of the book but I guess sometime in September I will try to put on this blog some passages from my book so others will get an idea of my writing. Typing the whole thing gave me a chance to read the story again at one go. I had resisted reading from the beginning when I was stuck in the middle worried I would stray from my original story line but now it feels quite okay. There are a lot of changes I have to do and I am eager to begin the revisions but I will wait for a couple of weeks before beginning it

2 comments:

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Hello Vinod...So, at last your novel typing is over...congrats... when are you going to give us a sneak preview of your work? I would love to go through it...

JAI

Vinod Ekbote said...

Jai, Thanks.

The sneak preview will be sometime in 2009. You will get to see it don't worry but you have to wait because there is actually a queue!

Vinod