Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The Sunday Haul- Three Mags and a Booklet

It was more of a magazine haul than a book haul this Sunday which was almost exactly like the one before except that it was less windy and sunnier. I found three magazines and a book, or rather a booklet. I had read the ‘Literary Review’ in the Hindu being the first Sunday of the month and was feeling highly literary when I started off for Abids at half past ten.

The first find was the booklet on Buddhism. It was ‘The Winning Life, An Introduction to Buddhist Practice’ that I got for only ten rupees. It was a simple booklet of not more than fifty pages with an attractive yellow cover. I loved its look and also the content inside. It says that Buddhism shows the most satisfying way to live amongst others. I have to read the booklet to know more and see if I can be a part-time Buddhist if such a thing is possible.

The first magazine I found was the August 2007 issue of ‘Men’s Health’ magazine. The men’s magazines have a lot of interesting articles on issues like managing one’s life, time, etc., apart from the usual stuff on fitness. There are a lot of small tips that one can use to learn about a lot of things. I find such magazines irresistible and I got it for only twenty rupees.

I had seen a Singapore based magazine last week that had an article on fountain pens but I did not pick it up then. But this week it was still lying around so I picked it up. It was ‘The Peak’ magazine that had the tag, ’The Finer Things in Life’ on the cover under the title. There were many of them in it- watches and loads of watches, luxury cars (a picture of a Bentley and a Rolls took my breath away), and there was the article on fountain pens. The article was on Namiki’s hand crafted fountain pens accompanied by lots of pictures of beautiful fountain pens that had me thinking of changing my reward to a fountain pen after I complete my typing marathon. The article had pictures of limited edition ‘Shishi Kmainu’, ‘Nioh’, ‘Double Dragon’ and ‘Dancing Beauty’ pens. I bought the magazine just for this article and it was worth the twenty rupees I paid for it.

The last magazine was again a surprise find. It was the June 2008 issue of Conde Nast Traveler magazine. June was only last month and I was pleasantly shocked that I found the absolutely latest issue of my favorite travel magazine for only twenty rupees. The pictures of Lake Tanganyika in it was mindblowing and so were the write ups on Villas for rent in Italy, France etc. I wonder if I can travel to at least one place mentioned in the magazine. Until then I will keep reading such magazines.

No comments: