Thursday, July 17, 2008

Reading in Irani Hotels

Quite possibly I could be the only guy (in Hyderabad, at least) who reads in Irani hotels. I have come to enjoy this habit that I developed about more than a year ago. One day I was walking back from a second hand bookstore with a book in my hand, and realizing it was time for tea I stepped into Bombay Bakery and Restaurant at Gunfoundry which happened to be on the way. It was around four in the afternoon and though the hotel was crowded and noisy I realized by the time I finished my tea I had read quite a few pages. It marked the beginning of a habit that I indulge in at least twice a week.


Admittedly, an Irani hotel isn't the most congenial of places to do some quiet reading but I have discovered there is a way to do it. I have found that early mornings at around nine or half past nine is the time suited to drop into Irani hotels and dip into a book. It was quite by accident that I found this out. I had to rush to office at half past nine and I was rushing when I got a call on my mobile that I could come at a later hour. I was already midway so I stopped at Adarsh for a cup of tea and then I realized I had a book with me. Adarsh isn't usually crowded at that time so I sat at a table and settled down to read for more than fifteen minutes while sipping the hot, delicious Irani tea.


I realized that on the days I read in Irani hotels I enjoy the book as well as the tea. But when reading something written by Dave Barry it is simply impossible not to read without spilling some of the tea on your clothes because he is so funny that you can't help yourself shaking with uncontrollable laughter. I am currently reading Dave Barry's 'Dave Barry's Greatest Hits' and decided not to read it in Irani hotels because I am getting curious stares as people watch me grinning to myself and breaking into guffaws while reading the hilarious essays by Dave Barry.

2 comments:

phaedra said...

Think about it, why deny them their daily dose of entertainment, laughing at you ;). May not fit here exactly but I once read that "if you cant laugh at yourself, youre missing out on a big joke"

Vinod Ekbote said...

yes... and live up to my name.